Thursday 21 April 2011

On Smart Communities...

In most communities there's an element I have heard referred to as "movers and shakers."  These people are the ones you see at every event, every opportunity, and every reception where the wine is flowing and the shrimp is free.  They natter and gnosh, gladhand and trade bon mots, imbibe, air kiss and pat each other on the back for jobs well done, whatever it is that they do.

Frankly, it's been my experience that most "movers and shakers" are just "bobbers and weavers" in expensive suits.

The other night the usual suspects were noticeably absent and the room was mostly filled with academics and entrepreneurs who somehow found time to celebrate Windsor's Top 7 standing as one of the world's most intelligent communities.  Columnist Chris Vander Doelen of the Windsor Star in his column today succinctly describes almost exactly my thoughts on the matter, both before Monday evening and after a wonderful night, beautifully presented at the St. Clair Centre for the Arts.

Read it here 

I was a skeptic about the amount of money being spent to promote the region, but now I'm a believer.  Here's what a number one ranking would mean to a man in my position:

1.  Doors would be opened in Toronto and Ottawa as I sell Windsor as a convention destination to provincial and national associations.
2.  One more reason for people to consider our region for tourism, investment and relocation, as if an extra month of fresh vegetables, golfing and nice weather on either side of the summer wasn't enough
3.  A fresh infusion of influential dandies and dilletantes
3.  The long term viability of a pretty cool city for my wife and I, but also for our kids.
4.  I look like a genius for relocating the family here all those years ago.

Stay tuned to see how it all turns out.  The World's Most Intelligent Community will be named in June 2011.

http://www.intelligentcommunity.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment